Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum have exploded in popularity and adoption over the last few years. What was once seen as a niche digital asset is now becoming mainstream. With this surge of interest, the number of cryptocurrency exchanges where people can buy, sell and trade coins has skyrocketed. There are now hundreds of platforms to choose from, ranging from well-established veterans to new startups.
With so many options, it can be overwhelming for newcomers to decide which platform is right for them. Exchanges vary widely in factors like security, fees, ease of use, coin selection, and advanced trading features. Picking the wrong exchange can result in subpar experiences or even lost funds.
This article will compare and rank the top cryptocurrency exchanges across key criteria. The goal is to provide readers with a shortlist of highly recommended options to evaluate further. While there is no definitive “best” exchange for everyone, the top platforms excel across the metrics that matter most to the majority of users. By highlighting the standout performers, readers can narrow down the crowded field to a few quality choices worth exploring in-depth.
Whether you’re a crypto novice dipping your toes in for the first time or an advanced trader looking to optimize your experience, this guide aims to help point you towards some of the best cryptocurrency exchanges available right now.
- Crypto Exchange Comparison Factors
- The Top 5 Cryptocurrency Exchanges: Our Verdict
- Our 5 Best Crypto Exchanges for October 2023
Crypto Exchange Comparison Factors
When looking at the top crypto exchanges, there are several important factors to consider:
Security – One of the most crucial aspects of any exchange is its security measures. Look for platforms that use cold storage to keep the majority of funds offline and inaccessible to hackers. Multi-factor and biometric authentication, encryption, and insurance against theft are also key protections. Steer clear of exchanges with a history of major hacks or lax security standards.
Fees – Exchanges make money by charging various fees, such as trading commissions per transaction, spreads on buy/sell orders, and fees for deposits and withdrawals. These can really eat into your profits. Try to go with exchanges that offer lower overall fees or discounted rates based on trading volume.
Ease of Use – The user interface and smoothness of the trading experience matter. New traders especially benefit from simple, intuitive platforms with features like educational resources and preset order types. More advanced exchanges with detailed charts, customization options, and complex order types appeal more to active traders.
Coins Supported – A cryptocurrency exchange isn’t very useful if it doesn’t support the coins you want to trade. The top platforms generally offer a wide selection of major, minor and stablecoins to cater to diverse traders. Make sure your exchange has adequate liquidity and trading pairs for the cryptocurrencies you want.
Payment Methods – Convenient ways to deposit and withdraw traditional currencies without excessive fees are important. The best exchanges accept various fiat currency transfers like bank deposits, debit/credit cards, and payment processors. Slow or expensive deposit and withdrawal methods lose points.
Advanced Trading Features – For serious traders, the availability of advanced order types (limit, stop-loss, etc.), margin/leverage trading, staking rewards, and other sophisticated tools and offerings increase an exchange’s utility.
Customer Support – Good customer service includes responsive chat support, email ticketing, and an FAQ/knowledge base. You don’t want to be left hanging if you run into problems or questions with an exchange’s services.
Reputation – The exchange’s track record and public perception based on customer reviews and press coverage matters. Established exchanges with solid transparency, ethics, and oversight inspire more confidence.
The Top 5 Cryptocurrency Exchanges: Our Verdict
|Exchange||Security||Fees||Ease of Use||Coins Supported||Payment Methods||Advanced Trading Features||Customer Support||Reputation|
- eToro stands out for ease of use and being beginner-friendly.
- Coinbase has the most coins supported and advanced trading features.
- Binance has low fees and a great reputation.
- Gemini is the most secure exchange.
- Coinjar makes it easy to invest in diversified crypto portfolios.
Our 5 Best Crypto Exchanges for October 2023
eToro, Best Crypto Exchange for Beginners
|70+||1%||2%||£4||From 50 pips||£10/m|
eToro stands out as one of the best cryptocurrency exchanges tailored specifically for newcomers.
With a user-friendly interface, vast educational resources, and pioneering social trading features, eToro is designed to make your foray into digital currencies as seamless and enjoyable as possible.
eToro Security Measures
eToro’s commitment to security is evident in the multiple layers of protection it employs to safeguard users’ data and funds. These include
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption – eToro utilises SSL technology to encrypt all data transmitted between users and the platform.
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) – Users can enable 2FA to add an extra layer of security to their accounts.
- Segregated funds – eToro keeps clients’ funds separate from the company’s operational funds. This segregation ensures that users’ investments are protected and cannot be accessed by eToro for its own business purposes.
eToro Cryptocurrency Trading Features
eToro offers a range of features that enhance the cryptocurrency trading experience, including
- CopyTrader™ – eToro’s innovative CopyTrader™ feature allows users to replicate the trades of successful cryptocurrency traders automatically. This can be an excellent option for beginners or those who want to diversify their portfolios by leveraging the expertise of experienced traders.
- SmartPortfolios™ – eToro offers pre-built thematic cryptocurrency portfolios, known as SmartPortfolios™, which allow users to invest in a diversified selection of cryptocurrencies with a single click. These portfolios are managed by eToro’s investment team and are designed to minimise risk and maximise potential returns.
- eToro Wallet – eToro provides a secure and user-friendly wallet for users to store, manage, and transfer their cryptocurrencies.
- Social trading community – eToro’s social trading platform enables users to engage with other traders, share insights, discuss market trends, and learn from the experiences of successful traders.
eToro Crypto Trading Fees and Commissions
When you decide to buy or sell any cryptocurrency on eToro, a straightforward 1% fee is applied, no matter which crypto asset you pick. This fee is conveniently incorporated into the displayed price on the platform when you open and close a position.
Once you’ve opened a new position, you may notice an initial loss. This is because the 1% buying fee and the 1% fee you’ll incur when you close the position are already factored in. The price you see already accounts for these fees on your Profit & Loss (P/L) display.
- Conversion Fees – eToro charges a conversion fee when converting fiat currency to cryptocurrency or vice versa. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the transaction amount and varies depending on the cryptocurrency involved. The conversion fee starts from 50 pips.
- Transfer Fees – Transferring cryptocurrencies from the eToro trading platform to the eToro Wallet incurs a fee that’s 2% of the transaction size, with a minimum of $1 and a maximum of $100.
- Blockchain Fees – When making transactions using cryptocurrencies, blockchain network fees are associated with processing the transaction. These fees are determined by the specific blockchain network, not eToro, and can vary based on network congestion and other factors. It’s important to consider these fees when making transactions with cryptocurrencies.
- Inactivity Fee – eToro Wallet does not charge an inactivity fee. However, the eToro trading platform imposes a $10 monthly inactivity fee if no login activity occurs for 12 consecutive months. To avoid this fee, simply log into your eToro account periodically.
eToro Customer Support and Reputation
eToro’s live chat is available 24 hours daily, from Monday to Friday. You can also submit a ticket to their Customer Service Center: eToro promises to get back to you within 48 business hours to the email address registered on your account.
Lastly, if you’re an eToro Club member at the Platinum level or above, you have the added convenience of communicating directly with your account manager via WhatsApp.
Some users report longer than average wait times, especially in the lower club tiers. Some users report a 7-day response time instead of the promised 2 days, and the live chat can be unresponsive.
Etoro has an excellent rating on Trustpilot, with a 4.3-star average from over 19,000 reviews.
61% of users gave it 5 stars, while 23% gave it only 1 star.
Positive reviews speak of ‘no hidden costs’, ‘easy to use and intuitive’ and even additional benefits of a ‘dedicated UK account manager’.
Some one-star reviews criticised the lack of a UK-based phone line, unresponsive chat service, and being stopped out of trades without warning.
- Fixed Fee on Crypto Trading
- Social Trading
- Copy Trading
- Customer Support Could be Improved
(76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider)
CoinBase, Best Crypto Exchange for Number of Crypto Assets
|240+||0.4% – 0%||£0||£0||£0||£0|
Coinbase, a top-notch crypto exchange, offers an array of services such as purchasing, trading, and storing various cryptocurrencies, NFTs, and DeFi products.
Boasting a selection of over 240 cryptocurrencies, the exchange provides users with an extensive range of choices, featuring well-known coins and tokens like Bitcoin, Ethereum, USD Coin, Tether, Dogecoin, and Polygon.
Coinbase Security Measures
Coinbase employs a multi-layered approach to protect user accounts and assets. Here are some key security measures:
- Cold Storage – Coinbase stores over 98% of its customer’s cryptocurrencies in offline, cold storage, ensuring that these assets remain protected from potential cyber-attacks.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) – Coinbase requires users to enable 2FA on their accounts, adding an extra layer of security by requiring a unique code from a separate device when logging in.
- Encryption – Coinbase uses industry-standard encryption to protect user data at rest and in transit. All sensitive information, such as passwords and API keys, is encrypted using strong cryptographic algorithms.
- Insurance – Coinbase maintains insurance policies to protect customer funds stored on their platform. In the unlikely event of a security breach or loss of funds, eligible users will be reimbursed.
- Bug Bounty Program – Coinbase operates a bug bounty program, encouraging security researchers to identify and report vulnerabilities in exchange for rewards. This helps to ensure the ongoing security and integrity of the platform.
Coinbase Trading Features
- Coinbase Pro – For advanced traders, Coinbase offers a separate platform called Coinbase Pro. This platform provides additional trading features like advanced charting tools, order types, and in-depth market data. Coinbase Pro users can use lower trading fees, making it a more cost-effective solution for high-frequency traders.
- Exclusive Asset Listings – Coinbase is known for its rigorous evaluation process when listing new cryptocurrencies. This thorough vetting ensures that only quality projects are listed, reducing the risk for investors.
- Additionally, Coinbase occasionally offers exclusive listings, giving its users early access to promising new projects before they become available on other exchanges.
- Staking and Lending – Coinbase has embraced the growing popularity of staking and lending, allowing users to earn passive income on their holdings.By staking supported cryptocurrencies like Ethereum 2.0 or lending stablecoins like USD Coin (USDC), users can receive interest payments, boosting their overall portfolio returns.
- Coinbase Learn – Recognizing the importance of educating its users, Coinbase has developed the Coinbase Learn platform. This feature provides rich educational resources, including articles, videos, and quizzes, to help users deepen their understanding of cryptocurrencies and the blockchain ecosystem.
- Recurring Buys and Dollar-Cost Averaging – Coinbase supports recurring buys, allowing users to automate their investments and take advantage of dollar-cost averaging. By setting up a recurring buy, users can invest a fixed amount in a specific cryptocurrency at regular intervals, reducing the impact of market volatility on their investments.
- Vault Accounts – For users seeking additional security for their digital assets, Coinbase offers a Vault account feature. The Vault functions as a secure storage solution with added layers of protection, including time-delayed withdrawals and the option for multiple approvers.
- Coinbase Card – The Coinbase Card is a Visa debit card that allows users to spend their cryptocurrency directly from their Coinbase account. Users can choose which of their supported cryptocurrencies to spend, and the card automatically converts the digital assets into local currency at the point of sale. This makes it convenient for users to use their cryptocurrency for everyday purchases without having to exchange it for fiat currency manually.
- Integrated Wallet and DApp Browser – The Coinbase Wallet is a separate mobile app allowing users to securely manage and store their cryptocurrency. It also features a built-in decentralised application (DApp) browser, enabling users to interact directly with various blockchain-based platforms and services from their wallets.
Coinbase Fees and Commissions
Coinbase operates on a tiered fee system, meaning that the fees vary depending on your transaction amount. Generally, the more you trade, the lower your fees. Here’s a breakdown of the standard fees:
|Transactions under $10||Flat Fee of $0.99|
|Transactions between $10 and $25||Flat fee of $1.49|
|Transactions between $25 and $50||Flat fee of $1.99|
|Transactions between $50 and $200||Flat fee of $2.99|
For transactions over $200, a percentage fee is applied, which is calculated based on your trading volume over the past 30 days:
|Up to $10 000||1.49% fee|
|Between $10 000 and $50 000||1.29% fee|
|Between $50 000 and $100 000||1.19% fee|
|Between $100 000 and $1 million||1.09% fee|
|Over $1 million||0.99% fee|
Payment Method Fees
Using a bank account or Coinbase Wallet for transactions typically results in lower fees, whereas using a debit card or credit card will incur higher fees. Here’s an overview of the fees associated with different payment methods:
|Coinbase Wallet||1.49% fee|
|Debit card or credit card||3.99% fee|
|ACH transfer (US only)||Free|
|Wire transfer (US only)||$10 incoming, $25 outgoing|
|SEPA bank transfer (EU only)||€0.15 incoming, €0.15 outgoing|
|Instant card withdrawal||Up to 1.5% of the transaction amount, with a minimum fee of $0.55|
Coinbase Pro Fees
Coinbase Pro uses a maker-taker fee model, which means that the fees you pay depend on whether you are a “maker” (creating a new order) or a “taker” (filling an existing order).
The fees are based on your trading volume over the past 30 days and are as follows:
Coinbase Customer Support
Coinbase offers multiple avenues for customers to get in touch with their support team, which include:
Help Center – The Coinbase Help Center is an extensive collection of articles and guides that address common questions and issues users may face.
Email Support – Customers can expect a response within 24-72 hours, depending on the issue’s complexity. Contact Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media – Coinbase maintains a strong presence on social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, where they share important updates and respond to user queries.
Live Chat – Coinbase has recently introduced a live chat feature, allowing users to connect directly with a support agent in real time.
- More than 240 Crypto Assets
- Crypto Rewards and Incentives
- Fees on the High Side
(Capital Risk Applies)
Binance, Best Crypto Exchange for Low Trading Fees
As the top dog in the world of cryptocurrency exchanges, Binance has made a name for itself by offering an astonishing selection of digital currencies and wallet-friendly trading fees. Since bursting onto the scene in 2017, Binance has grown and adapted to meet the needs of its users, providing a wide variety of cryptocurrencies that include well-known favourites like Bitcoin and Ethereum, as well as up-and-coming altcoins and specialised tokens.
What sets Binance apart and keeps it ahead of the pack is its dedication to creating a user-friendly experience, paired with impressively low trading fees. This winning combination has drawn in users of all experience levels, from crypto newbies to seasoned traders, and offers a range of advanced features and tools to suit their different requirements.
Binance Security Measures
Binance has implemented various security measures to protect users’ assets and information, making it a top priority for the platform. Let’s take a closer look at these measures:
- Secure Asset Fund for Users (SAFU) – Binance allocates 10% of all trading fees received into the SAFU fund, which acts as an emergency insurance policy for users. In the event of a security breach, the SAFU fund can be used to compensate users for any losses.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) – Binance supports 2FA, allowing users to enhance their account security by requiring an additional verification step during login and withdrawals. Users can choose between Google Authenticator, SMS authentication, or hardware security keys such as YubiKey.
- Anti-Phishing Code – Users can set up a unique anti-phishing code that will appear in all legitimate Binance emails, helping to identify and prevent phishing attempts.
- Address Whitelisting – Binance allows users to whitelist specific cryptocurrency withdrawal addresses, which restricts withdrawals to only those addresses, adding an extra layer of security.
- Data Encryption – Binance uses advanced encryption techniques to secure user data and transactions, ensuring the privacy and security of user information.
Binance Trading Features
Designed to cater to the needs of both beginners and advanced traders, Binance offers an extensive range of options for buying, selling, and managing digital assets. This chapter will provide an overview of the key features Binance has to offer.
- Spot Trading – Spot trading is the most straightforward way to trade cryptocurrencies on Binance. It instantly lets you buy or sell a cryptocurrency at the current market price. This feature is perfect for beginners who want to dip their toes into crypto trading without getting overwhelmed by complex trading strategies.
- Margin Trading – Margin trading is a popular feature among experienced traders. It allows you to borrow funds from Binance to trade cryptocurrencies, thereby increasing your potential profits.
- Futures Trading – Futures trading allows users to speculate on the future price of various cryptocurrencies. It’s an exciting way to profit from the volatile nature of the crypto market. Binance offers two types of futures contracts.
- Options Trading – This feature allows traders to buy or sell the underlying cryptocurrency at a predetermined price, allowing them to hedge against potential market fluctuations or capitalise on price movements.
- Binance Staking – Binance Staking is a feature that allows users to earn passive income by holding their cryptocurrencies on the platform. By staking your tokens, you contribute to the network’s stability and security, and you receive rewards in return.
- Binance Earn – Binance Earn is a suite of financial products designed to help you grow your crypto holdings. It includes options like Savings, Staking, and Liquid Swap. Each product has its own benefits and risks, but they all provide opportunities for users to earn passive income.
- Binance Smart Chain (BSC) – Binance Smart Chain is a fast, secure, and user-friendly blockchain platform for decentralised applications (dApps) and crypto assets. BSC boasts low transaction fees and high throughput, making it an ideal choice for developers and users.
- Binance Academy – Binance Academy is a comprehensive learning platform that offers a wealth of educational resources to help users better understand the world of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. From beginner guides to advanced trading strategies, Binance Academy provides valuable insights for users at all levels of expertise.
Binance Crypto Trading Fees and Commissions
Binance uses a tiered fee structure based on your 30-day trading volume and Binance Coin (BNB) holdings. The more you trade and the more BNB you hold, the lower your fees will be.
For most users, the trading fee starts at 0.1% for both maker and taker orders. However, if you hold BNB in your account and enable the “Use BNB for fees” option, you’ll receive a 25% discount on your trading fees, reducing the fee to 0.075%.
As your trading volume and BNB holdings increase, your trading fees can be reduced even further, going as low as 0.02% for makers and 0.04% for takers in the highest tier.
Withdrawal Fees – When you’re ready to withdraw your funds from Binance, you’ll encounter withdrawal fees. These fees mainly cover the network fees associated with the cryptocurrency you’re withdrawing.
Withdrawal fees vary depending on the cryptocurrency, and they can be subject to change due to fluctuations in network fees.
Margin Borrowing Interest – If you trade with a margin on Binance, you’ll borrow funds to increase your trading power. Binance charges an interest fee for the borrowed funds, which varies depending on the cryptocurrency and the amount you’re borrowing.
Futures Trading Fees – For those interested in trading futures contracts on Binance, there are separate fees to consider. Like spot trading, Binance uses a tiered fee structure for futures trading based on your 30-day trading volume and BNB holdings.
Futures trading fees can range from 0.02% to 0.04% for makers and 0.04% to 0.075% for takers, depending on your tier level.
Binance Customer Support
Binance offers a variety of support channels to cater to the diverse needs of its users. Here are the primary avenues through which you can contact the customer support team:
Help Center – Binance has an extensive Help Center (https://www.binance.com/en/support), which contains a wealth of information, including FAQs, articles, and guides.
The Help Center is accessible 24/7, and you can instantly find answers to common questions and concerns.
Submit a Request – If you cannot find the answer to your question in the Help Center, you can submit a request by clicking the “Submit a Request” button on the support page. Binance’s support team will then get back to you via email.
While response times may vary depending on the complexity of your issue, you can typically expect a reply within 24 to 48 hours.
Live Chat – For real-time assistance, you can use the Live Chat feature available on the Binance website and mobile app. Simply click on the chat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen to initiate a conversation with a support agent.
You can expect a support agent to respond to your query within minutes.
Social Media – Binance also maintains an active presence on various social media platforms, including Twitter (@binance), Facebook (@binanceexchange), and Telegram (@binanceexchange).
Hours of Operation
Binance is committed to providing round-the-clock support, ensuring that users from different time zones can receive timely assistance.
Their customer support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round.
- 350+ CryptoAssets
- Low Trading Fees
- 24/7 Support
- Some Cryptos are not Available in the UK
Capital Risk Applies
Gemini, Best Crypto Exchange for Safety and Storage
|100+||0.25%-0% (Maker) / 0.35-0.03% (Taker)||From 2.5%||£0||£0||£0|
Founded in 2014 by the Winklevoss twins, Cameron and Tyler, Gemini has grown into a reputable and trustworthy exchange platform that caters to users who prioritise safety above all else.
As a New York Trust company regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), Gemini operates under strict compliance rules and regulations, ensuring that customers’ funds and personal information are well-protected.
While it’s true that Gemini’s fees may be higher compared to other exchanges, the unparalleled level of safety the platform provides justifies the cost. Users who choose Gemini can rest assured that they are trading in a secure and reliable environment where their funds and personal information are protected to the highest degree.
Gemini Security Features
Gemini has built a reputation for providing a secure and reliable platform for buying, selling, and storing digital assets. As a user of Gemini, you can feel confident that your assets and information are protected by cutting-edge security measures.
- Cold Storage – Gemini utilises a cold storage system to safeguard most of its users’ digital assets. Cold storage means the assets are stored offline, making them inaccessible to hackers and malicious actors. By keeping the majority of funds in cold storage, Gemini significantly reduces the risk of theft or loss due to hacking incidents.
- Multi-Signature Security – Gemini employs multi-signature security to protect its customers’ assets. This means that multiple signatures are required for any transaction to be authorised. This added layer of security ensures that no single person can access or move the funds, making it much more difficult for unauthorised transactions to occur.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) – To enhance the security of your Gemini account, the platform requires you to enable two-factor authentication (2FA). This process adds an extra step to the login procedure, ensuring only you can access your account. With 2FA enabled, you will receive a unique, time-sensitive code on your mobile device, which you must enter in addition to your password to log in.
- Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) – Gemini uses high-quality hardware security modules (HSMs) to manage the cryptographic keys that secure your digital assets. HSMs are tamper-proof devices designed to protect sensitive information from unauthorised access, even in a breach. They offer enhanced security by generating, storing, and managing cryptographic keys in a secure, isolated environment.
- System Monitoring and Auditing – To maintain a high level of security, Gemini continuously monitors its systems for any unusual or suspicious activities. The platform undergoes regular audits by third-party security firms to ensure it adheres to the latest industry best practices and standards. Gemini also works closely with law enforcement agencies and shares relevant information to help combat cybercrime and maintain the integrity of the platform.
- Security Training and Awareness – Gemini is dedicated to fostering a security culture within its organisation. The company provides its employees with regular security training and ensures they know the latest threats and best practices. By instilling a strong security mindset among its staff, Gemini can better protect its users and maintain a secure environment for digital asset trading.
Gemini Trading Features
Gemini offers a variety of advanced trading tools that cater to the needs of novice and experienced traders. These tools include
Gemini ActiveTrader™ – This advanced trading interface provides users with access to sophisticated charting tools, various order types, and real-time market data. ActiveTrader™ is designed for traders who require more in-depth market analysis and advanced order execution capabilities.
Gemini Clearing™ – This feature allows users to execute off-exchange trades with a trusted counterparty. Gemini Clearing™ acts as a middleman, ensuring that both parties fulfill their obligations and mitigating the risks associated with over-the-counter (OTC) transactions.
Gemini Earn – This feature enables users to earn interest on idle cryptocurrency holdings. By lending their assets to institutional borrowers, users can generate passive income on their investments.
Gemini Dollar (GUSD) – Gemini Dollar (GUSD) is a stablecoin pegged to the US dollar, which provides traders with a stable asset to park their funds during market volatility. GUSD is an ERC-20 token issued by Gemini, and its value is backed 1:1 with US dollars held in reserve.
This feature allows users to trade in and out of cryptocurrencies with minimal price fluctuations and helps them avoid potential losses due to market volatility.
Gemini Fees and Commissions
Mobile and Web-Based Fee
|$10 – $25||$1.49|
|$25 – $50||$1.99|
|$50 – $200||$2.99|
|> $200||1.49% of the total|
Gemini operates on a maker-taker fee model, meaning that fees are based on adding liquidity to the order book (maker) or taking liquidity away from the order book (taker). The fees depend on your 30-day trading volume and decrease as your trading volume increases. Here’s a summary of Gemini’s trading fees:
|Monthly Trade Volume||Taker Fee||Maker Fee||Auction Fee|
|≥ $2.5 million||0.25%||0.15%||0.10%|
|≥ $5 million||0.15%||0.10%||0.10%|
|≥ $10 million||0.15%||0.10%||0.00%|
|≥ $15 million||0.10%||0.00%||0.00%|
|≥ $50 million||0.075%||0.00%||0.00%|
|≥ $100 million||0.05%||0.00%||0.00%|
|≥ $250 million||0.04%||0.00%||0.00%|
|≥ $500 million||0.03%||0.00%||0.00%|
Deposit and Withdrawal Fees
Gemini does not charge any fees for depositing or withdrawing cryptocurrencies. However, you may encounter network fees (mining fees) when transferring crypto assets. These fees are not charged by Gemini, but by the blockchain network itself, and can vary depending on the network’s congestion.
Wire Transfer Fees
For USD deposits and withdrawals, Gemini supports wire transfers. There are no fees for wire transfer deposits, but withdrawals may incur fees, depending on your bank. It’s always a good idea to check with your bank for any fees associated with wire transfers before initiating a transaction.
Debit Card Fees
Gemini allows users to purchase cryptocurrencies using a debit card. The fee for debit card transactions is 3.49% of the total transaction amount. Remember that your card issuer may charge additional fees, so reviewing their terms and conditions is important.
Gemini Customer Support
Support Portal – Gemini’s Support Portal is the primary resource for customers to find answers to their questions. The portal features a comprehensive knowledge base, with articles and guides covering various topics, from getting started on the platform to detailed information about trading, deposits, and withdrawals.
Submitting a Request – If you cannot find an answer to your question in the Support Portal or need personalised assistance, you can submit a request to Gemini’s customer support team.
Social Media Channels – In addition to the Support Portal and submitting a request, customers can also reach out to Gemini’s customer support through their social media channels. These platforms offer another convenient way to stay connected and receive prompt assistance.
Gemini’s Customer Support Hours
Gemini customer support is available 24/7 to assist with any issues that may arise. While their response times may vary depending on the volume of requests, their commitment to providing round-the-clock support ensures that customers have access to help when they need it most.
- Highly Secured
- Suitable for Large Crypto Trades (Millions)
- Payment Fees on the High Side
Capital Risk Applies
Coinjar, Best Crypto Exchange for Ready-Made Portfolios
|50+||0.1%-0% (Maker)1% (Taker)||£10||£0||£0||£0|
As a leading cryptocurrency exchange, Coinjar takes the hassle out of managing multiple coins and tokens, enabling you to focus on what matters: growing your investments.
The exchange’s standout feature is its expertly curated selection of ready-made portfolios tailored to suit a variety of risk appetites and investment objectives. This makes it incredibly easy for you to diversify your holdings, manage risk, and tap into the full potential of cryptocurrency markets.
Whether you’re a seasoned trader or just beginning your crypto journey, Coinjar offers a welcoming and supportive environment to help you thrive in the dynamic world of digital assets.
Coinjar Security Measures
Industry-Standard Security Protocols – Coinjar employs industry-standard security protocols to ensure the safety of users’ funds and personal information. By adhering to these protocols, the platform can protect users from potential threats, such as hacking and phishing attacks.
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) – This process requires users to provide two forms of identification when accessing their accounts.
Encrypted Data Storage – To protect sensitive user data, Coinjar employs advanced encryption methods to store all personal information. This means that even in the unlikely event of a security breach, attackers would be unable to read or decipher any encrypted data.
Secure Digital Wallets – Coinjar provides its users with secure digital wallets for storing and managing their cryptocurrencies. These wallets employ a combination of encryption and cold storage techniques to ensure the safety of users’ assets.
Ongoing Security Audits – To maintain a high level of security, Coinjar regularly conducts internal and external security audits. These audits are performed by independent security experts who assess the platform’s systems and processes to identify any potential vulnerabilities.
Coinjar Trading Features
Coinjar Exchange – For more seasoned traders, Coinjar Exchange offers a professional trading environment with advanced features like a customisable trading interface, API access, and real-time market data.
Coinjar Exchange supports multiple order types, including market, limit, and stop orders, enabling traders to execute their strategies efficiently.
Coinjar Swipe – Coinjar Swipe is a cryptocurrency debit card that allows users to spend their digital assets directly, similar to a traditional debit card. With Coinjar Swipe, users can convert their cryptocurrency into fiat currency, such as GBP or AUD, and use it at millions of locations worldwide.
Crypto Bundles – In addition to individual cryptocurrencies, Coinjar also offers Crypto Bundles, which are pre-selected collections of digital assets designed to simplify the investment process.
These bundles allow users to invest in a diversified portfolio of cryptocurrencies with a single purchase, making it easier for new traders to enter the market and spread their risk.
Coinjar Fees and Commissions
Coinjar allows you to deposit funds into your account using various methods. The fees associated with each method are as follows:
- Bank transfer (Faster Payments Service): Free
- PayID / Osko: Free
- BPAY: 1.5%
- Cash deposit (through Blueshyft): 1.5%
Coinjar implements a tiered fee structure for its trading services, which means that the fees depend on your 30-day trading volume. The more you trade, the lower the fees you will pay. Here is a breakdown of the fee structure:
|Monthly Trading Volume (BTC)||Taker Fee||Maker Fee|
|0 – 10||0.15%||0.05%|
|10 – 100||0.14%||0.04%|
|100 – 200||0.13%||0.03%|
|200 – 500||0.12%||0.02%|
|500 – 1000||0.11%||0.01%|
Please note that the taker fee is applied when you place a market order, while the maker fee is applied when you place a limit order.
When withdrawing funds from your Coinjar account, different fees apply depending on the method and currency. Below are the withdrawal fees for various methods and currencies:
- GBP bank transfer: Free
- BTC withdrawal: 0.0005 BTC
- ETH withdrawal: 0.005 ETH
- LTC withdrawal: 0.001 LTC
- XRP withdrawal: 0.1 XRP
- ZEC withdrawal: 0.0001 ZEC
Coinjar Swipe Card
- Card issuance: Free
- Card replacement: AUD 29.00
- Domestic ATM withdrawal: AUD 2.00
- International ATM withdrawal: AUD 3.50
- Currency conversion fee: 1%
Coinjar Customer Support
Knowledge Base – Before reaching out to the customer support team, it is always a good idea to check Coinjar’s comprehensive knowledge base. This resource is packed with detailed articles, guides, and FAQs that address various topics, from setting up an account to trading and withdrawing funds.
Support Request – If you cannot find the information you’re looking for in the knowledge base or need further assistance, you can submit a support request directly to Coinjar’s customer support team.
Email Support – Alternatively, you can contact Coinjar’s customer support via email at email@example.com.
Customer Support Hours
Coinjar’s customer support team is available Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. While the team strives to respond to all inquiries as quickly as possible, response times may vary depending on the volume of requests.
- Ready-Made Portfolios
- Dedicated Debit Card
- Limited Number of Currencies Compared to the Competition
- No Customer Support on the weekends
(Capital Risk Applies)
How Does a Crypto Exchange Work?
A crypto exchange operates much like a traditional stock exchange, but instead of trading stocks and shares, users trade digital currencies. These platforms maintain an order book, a list of buy and sell orders users place.
When a user places an order, the exchange tries to match it with an opposite order (a buy order with a sell order and vice versa) at the best available price. If a match is found, the trade is executed, and the corresponding assets are transferred between the users’ accounts on the exchange.
What are the Different Types of Crypto Exchanges?
There are several types of crypto exchanges, each with its features, benefits, and limitations. Here are the main types you might come across:
|Centralised Exchanges (CEX)||These are the most common type of crypto exchange, and they function similarly to traditional stock exchanges. Centralised exchanges are managed by a central authority, which is responsible for maintaining the platform, ensuring security, and overseeing transactions.|
|Decentralised Exchanges (DEX)||These platforms operate without a central authority, relying instead on smart contracts and blockchain technology to facilitate peer-to-peer trading. Decentralised exchanges offer increased privacy and security as users maintain control of their private keys and funds. |
However, they may need to be more user-friendly and have lower trading volumes than centralised exchanges.
|Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Exchanges||These directly connect buyers and sellers, allowing them to trade cryptocurrencies without an intermediary. P2P exchanges often use an escrow system to ensure the security and integrity of transactions.|
|Hybrid Exchanges||Hybrid exchanges combine features of both centralised and decentralised exchanges, aiming to offer the benefits of both types. Hybrid exchanges are relatively new in the market and are continually evolving.|
To recap our selections…
- eToro – Best for BeginnersWith its simple interface, copy trading, and educational resources, eToro makes diving into crypto investing easy for newcomers.
- Coinbase – Best Range of AssetsCoinbase offers over 240 cryptocurrencies to trade, stake, and lend, making it the top pick for asset variety.
- Binance – Best Low Trading FeesLeading exchange Binance beats competitors with trading fees as low as 0.1% and discounts for frequent traders.
- Gemini – Most SecureHeavily regulated Gemini provides best-in-class storage and protections for your crypto holdings.
- Coinjar – Best for Crypto PortfoliosCoinjar takes the complexity out of crypto investing with expertly constructed, diversified crypto bundles.
There is no universal “best” exchange as individual needs vary. We recommend evaluating these top platforms against your own priorities and requirements. And remember, crypto investing carries inherent risks from volatility. Do your own research before choosing an exchange or investing.
To recap our selections…
Best Crypto Exchanges and Apps of October 2023
- eToro – Best for Beginners
With its simple interface, copy trading, and extensive educational resources, eToro is our top pick for those new to crypto trading. The social trading platform makes the learning curve less steep.
- Coinbase – Best for Number of Assets
Coinbase offers over 240 cryptocurrencies to trade, along with advanced features like staking rewards, recurring buys, and a dedicated wallet. The exchange is a one-stop shop for crypto enthusiasts.
- Binance – Best for Low Fees
Leading the pack with some of the lowest trading fees in the industry, Binance makes frequent crypto trading affordable. The exchange offers an unparalleled variety of digital currencies to trade.
- Gemini – Most Secure Exchange
Security-conscious investors will appreciate Gemini’s focus on protection. Robust measures like cold storage and insurance ensure funds remain safe from hacks and theft.
- Coinjar – Best for Crypto Portfolios
Coinjar takes the complexity out of crypto investing with curated bundles and managed portfolios. The Australian exchange provides an easy way to diversify.
The top exchanges ranked above are great options, but we recommend evaluating them yourself based on your priorities and needs as an investor.