Currently only part of the bridging loan industry is regulated, and it’s important you understand the details before securing your loan. There are, in fact, two different types of loan available in the UK market. Here we’ll explain the basic differences between these three, as well as the important points to look out for.

Regulated Bridging Loans

Regulation is essentially a set of rules intended to keep the public safe. In the UK, regulation is maintained by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and this means loans must conform to certain standards. They are also subject to supervision and enforcement where appropriate meaning consumers care protected under the Mortgage Code of Business (MCOB) rules. 

In the bridging loan market only consumer loans secured by a first charge on the borrowers (or partners’s) home are regulated. This arrangement is sometimes known as a regulated mortgage contract.

Certain Loans which are secured by a second charge on a borrower (or partners’s) home are also regulated. These are known as consumer credit loans.

In both cases at least 40% the property must be currently or going to be lived in by the property owner.

Regulated loans are generally restricted to a maximum of 70% loan to value, although higher amounts are available in certain cases.

Which Bridging Loans are Unregulated?

Currently, commercial bridging finance is unregulated, meaning the FCA extends no protection or supervision to this area of the industry. If you’re securing a loan for an investment property, a commercial building, or for a buy-to-let it will not be regulated.

Most second charge loans are also unregulated with certain exceptions.

Any loan taken out by a limited company as opposed to an individual will be unregulated.

What the Risk of Unregulated Finance?

Generally speaking the FCA regulates industries where consumers are deemed to be more vulnerable, which is not the case with commercial finance. Currently, over half of the bridging finance industry is unregulated, so it’s the normal situation rather than a rarity.

Regulated lenders are of course a safer bet since they’re responsible to the standards laid out by the FCA, which include displaying accurate information around fees and repayment terms. The biggest risk with unregulated lenders is that the information they provide may not be 100% clear, nor may they always demonstrate 100% ethical behaviour such as ensuring their customers are fully aware of the risks they are taking. 

While unregulated finance remains a necessity for large swathes of the market, due diligence is always essential, especially in gaining total clarity over charges, and terms and conditions.